You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Hydraulic fluid closes bank

  • 1 min to read

RUTHERFORDTON — At approximately 2 p.m. Thursday the BB&T branch had to close early for business due to a faulty door that created a suspicious odor.

Rutherfordton firefighters first responded to the bank at 134 Charlotte Road to what was originally suspected to be a natural gas leak. Members of the Fire & Rescue Department searched the bank with gas leak monitors, but did not detect a leak.

Dominion Energy arrived on the scene and, after searching, found the source of the odor, hydraulic fluid from an automatic door closer, which had burst and seeped into the bank’s carpet. The fluid created an overwhelming odor.

The Rutherfordton Fire & Rescue Department was on scene for 2 hours. No one was injured during the incident.

BB&T was open for business on Friday.