No. 25 GWU tops Point, 55-7

Sep. 29, 2013 @ 12:03 PM

Gardner-Webb came into its game against Point not having scored a touchdown in 12 quarters. 

They made up for lost time in 55-7 win over the Skyhawks Saturday night at Spangler Stadium. 

The Bulldogs put up their highest point total since shutting out Southern Virginia in 2009, rolling up 503 total yards in process. The defense was equally impressive, holding the opponent under 200 yards for the second straight week

“Anytime you can win a football game, it’s exciting. I don’t care who you play,” said GWU head coach Carroll McCray. “We did exactly what we wanted to do and that was running the ball, controlling the time of possession and throwing it only when we want to.”

GWU got off to a fast start. On the third play from scrimmage Lonnie Johnson jumped a route and intercepted Jeremy Uzee’s pass at the Bulldog 48. 

It was the first of three picks GWU would garner in the half. 

Lucas Beatty then found Juanne Blount on a 27-yard swing pass. Three plays later, Gardner-Webb found the end zone for the first time in 12 quarters as Beatty connected with Demarcus White for a 10-yard touchdown pass. Jordan Day booted the extra point as GWU led 7-0.

The Runnin' Bulldogs would find the end zone once more before the end of opening frame.  

JJ Hubbard took a handoff from Beatty, cut to the outside and run untouched for the score. Day’s kick was good to leave the tally at 14-0 at the end of the first quarter.

Not to be outdone, the defense also found the end zone as Keon Williams intercepted Uzee. Thirty-seven yards later, he was in the end zone for a 21-0 GWU lead. It was the Bulldogs' first interception return for a score since 2009.

The Skyhawks lone score was set up by a White fumble deep in GWU territory. Uzee hit Anthony Armstrong for a 10 yard touchdown to cut the deficit to 21-7. The Skyhawks tried an onside kick, but one of the up men called for a fair catch. Point was whistled for interference and GWU then took advantage of the short field. Kenny Cook reeled in a 24 yard pass from Beatty to give the Bulldogs back their three touchdown advantage, 28-7. Day added a 27 yard field goal in the waning seconds of the half to push the tally to 31-7 at the break.

GWU took the send half kickoff and began to pick up big chunks of yards. Blount rushed for 23 and 11 yards on consecutive plays. 

But the Skyhawk defense stiffend and  held Day to a 19 yard field goal.

Point drove to the Bulldogs 36 on their next possession, but GWU  picked off its fourth pass of the night to snuff out the drive. GWU could not move the ball and were forced to punt. Point once again put together a long drive. Williams was ejected on that drive for throwing a punch and will have to miss the first half next week. GWU held  on fourth down however.

The Bulldogs then embarked on a long drive that went into the fourth quarter. Freshman Rod  Talley  carried the majority of the load and was rewarded with a 9 yard touchdown run, the first of his career. That  score pushed the Bulldogs lead to 41-7.

GWU’s next drive followed a similar pattern. Talley put the Bulldogs in the red zone and backup quarterback Nat Dunlap found fullback Ernest Harman in the  back of the end zone for a 4-yard touchdown. Talley capped the scoring on a 1-yard run with under a minute left to account for the 55-7 final.

The Runnin' Bulldogs return to action next week with a road showdown at Charlotte. Kickoff is at 12 p.m. from Jerry Richardson Stadium.