Trojans remain perfect

Dec. 08, 2012 @ 08:31 AM

The Chase Trojans are off to their best start on the hardwood in nearly two decades as they ran their record to a perfect 4-0 Friday with a 64-58 come from behind win over Mitchell.

“This was a game of ups and downs and momentum shifts,” said coach Joe Jessen. “Mitchell had all the momentum in the second quarter so we switched to a man-to-man and started playing good defense. Everyone played well tonight, but Steven Holland and Caleb Lancaster made some huge plays at the end to help us come out on top.”

Chase (4-0) opened the game on a high note as Tyrell Boykins converted a three-point play.

Shad Blanton then beat everyone down the floor for an uncontested layup. By the time Trey Watkins found Kyle Bingham on a backdoor cut, the Trojans had sprinted to a 9-0 lead.

The game then turned into a three-point shooting contest. Sam McKinney knocked down a pair of shots from beyond the arc, but Blanton turned the same trick as the Chase lead remained at nine points. Mitchell’s Mike Vaughn drained another three just before the end of the quarter to make the tally 20-14.

Mitchell mounted a huge 14-0 rally to start the second quarter, once again behind the three point shot Vaughn and McKinney did the majority of the damage as the visitors grabbed a 28-20 lead.

Blanton broke the streak with a deep three and the defense switched to a man to man. Steven Holland registered a block and forced a traveling call on the defense. Watkins took advantage of the stops with a three point play.

Blanton then knocked down one of two foul shots to pull Chase within 30-29 at the half.

Boykins gave his team the lead immediately out of the locker room with a steal and a layup. Holland then canned a foul line jumper to give Chase a three point lead.

The teams then went on a long stretch of trading baskets with neither side gaining more than a four point lead the rest of the quarter. When the frenetic frame ended, Chase led 41-38.

After Mitchell’s Austin Mast tied the game at 41-41 with a three-point play, Caleb Lancaster and Watkins took over the contest.

The Trojan big men went on a 6-0 as Chase led 47-41 with 5:08 left.

Mitchell would not go away as Cory Blevins cut the lead in half with a deep triple.

Holland answered with another foul line jumper to push the contest back to a two possession game.

The game continued to go back-and-forth with Dace Rollins and Boykins garnering big baskets for Chase while Mitchell kept firing away from beyond the arc.

As a result Chase clung to a three point lead with a minute left on the clock.    

Watkins then missed the front end of a one-and-one chance, but the ball deflected off the Mountaineers out of bounds.

Holland then went to the line and calmly sank a pair of shots and Boykins did the same as Chase salted the game away 64-58.

Blanton led a balanced scoring attack for Chase while Lancaster and Holland had 11 points apiece. Mast scored a game high 20 points for Mitchell.