Surfs up ... with a beating included

Jul. 23, 2013 @ 05:02 AM

Kelly Slater I am not.

He happens to be a world champion surfer from the West Coast.

Regardless of that, over the weekend I decided to try my hand at some form of surfing.

In Wilmington to finalize plans for the upcoming wedding, I had a little free time to stick my feet in the sand and check out the Atlantic Ocean.

Earlier, I figured it would be a good idea to purchase a body board and try my luck at body surfing.

Body surfing is similar to regular surfing only you lie down and the board is not nearly as long.

So there I was, a man from the Midwest, taking a turn at tackling the waves of Mother Nature in hopes of riding high.

But, when approaching the water on Saturday, I realized I might have picked the wrong day to make my rookie debut.

The swells of the waves weren't that high, but they were rough.

Waves were crashing hard at the shoreline and it just looked brutal.

I should have taken a cue from the lack of people actually in the water at the time, which I could count on two hands.

But, none of that stopped my perseverance and determination to ride a wave.

The water was great as far as temperature and that provided enough motivation to continue on my trek.

Of course, Amanda sat idly by on the beach waiting for my pending demise at the hands of wave after wave crashing into the shore.

That should have been the second indication that what I was about to do was far from a good idea.

But, I'm stubborn and have a hard time listening to a fellow Midwesterner about the trials and tribulations of beach-going.

Off I went and a pounding I took.

I probably drank more salt water than I drink regular water.

I was beat up, kicked around and otherwise manhandled by Mother Nature.

Granted, a lot of it was my own fault because, instead of stopping after the first failed attempt that found me washed ashore and with more sand in my swim trunks than a sand castle, I just kept going and going.

And I just kept getting pounded and pounded by wave after wave.

I rode the waves alright but it was more of a situation where I was under the water getting pulled by the wave rather than riding on top of it.

And Amanda just laughed and waved at me as I took beating after beating.

Eventually, I learned my lesson (after about two hours) and stumbled out of the water with my proverbial tail between my legs.

It felt good to be in the water, but the soreness after the fact … not so much.

I felt it even after driving home on Sunday and into Monday.

But, I am not deterred and I will do it again.

My board is intact and I will go back for our wedding in two weeks. Perhaps the boys will be able to share in my wave-riding misfortune.

Nonetheless, it was great to come back home where I don't have to worry about sand in my shorts and the only water beating me up is the rain in relation to mowing my lawn.


Matthew Clark is the Editor of The Daily Courier. He can be reached at Follow him on Twitter @UMass_MClark or @TDCMatt