Free ‘Healthy Home’ workshop Tuesday in Spindale
How healthy is your home? If the home has poor air quality, there are health risks, said Tracy Davis at the North Carolina Cooperative Extension office in Spindale.
The extension staff is offering a Healthy Home workshop on Tuesday, Feb. 12 to help homeowners understand the sources of indoor contaminants and strategies for reducing them. Mold, asbestos, lead, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, and radon will be discussed in detail.
Poor indoor air quality can cause a number of health problems ranging from dizziness, nausea, fatigue, dry eyes, nose, and throat to asthma and other respiratory illnesses. Some pollutants such as dust or mold can cause immediate health effects, while others like radon lead to major health conditions after years of exposure.
In the past, air pollution was considered an outdoor problem, yet current research indicates that the air within homes can be more seriously polluted than the outdoor air. People spend 60 to 90 percent of their time indoors making the quality of indoor air a major concern.
Whether living in an older home or a new, energy-efficient home, residents can be exposed to pollutants. Home furnishings, building materials, cleaning products and even the aerosols and air fresheners we use in our homes can cause health problems. The good news is the home’s air quality can be improved to protect family’s health.
Homeowners can choose to attend the afternoon session from 2 to 4 p.m. or the evening session from 5:30-7:30 pm.
There is no fee to attend the workshop, but registration is required. To register, contact Cooperative Extension at 287-6020.