Sandy Mush family loses home to fire

Father, daughter checked for smoke inhalation; dog perishess
Feb. 22, 2013 @ 09:11 AM

When Kanean Reynolds, 4, arrived home Thursday afternoon from Liberty Christian day school, he wrapped his arms around his mother's neck and cried.  At Rutherford Regional Medical Center were his father, Derrick Reynolds and 1-year-old sister, Jaylee, who were taken for observation and treatment of possible smoke inhalation.

The Reynolds home, located off Hollywood Street in Sandy Mush, was destroyed by fire about 90 minutes before Kanean arrived home. 

The wood frame house was occupied by the couple, their two children and Reynolds' other son, Adrian Poole, 3, who was not at the residence at the time. 

Next door neighbor Tammy Dowdy was at home when the fire broke out at about 2:03 p.m. 

"He was pounding on my door," Dowdy said of Derrick Reynolds. He was holding 1-year-old Jaylee, who was put in a vehicle for safety and Dowdy called 911.

"He kept running back into the house to save the dogs," Dowdy said. 

A female Chihuahua named Patty perished in the fire, but Patty's five, four-week-old puppies were rescued. During all the commotion Thursday afternoon, several neighbors took the puppies to their homes. 

Surrounded by neighbors and friends, Jennie wept. "It's so hard. It's so hard," as tears ran down her face.

Jennie was not home when the fire broke out. She was with her mother at the hospital who underwent surgery earlier on Thursday. She was in the process of bringing her mother home when the fire happened. 

Kanean's uncle picked him up from day school and when he arrived home,  the front yard was filled with neighbors, friends, firefighters and sheriff's officers.

"I'm so sorry. I'm sorry," 6-year-old Mason Webb said, lightly touching his friend Kanean.

Mason also broke out in tears.

Sandy Mush fireman Bryan presented stuffed animals to both young friends, which brought a smile to their face. The cause of the fire was not known late Thursday, Sandy Mush Fire Chief William Clayton said.

"It was awful," neighbor Janie Bowen said.

The family had just moved into the neighborhood a few months ago and were in the process of buying the  home.

Several neighbors who were arriving on the scene promised to help the family.

The American Red Cross was also called to assist the family with immediate needs. 

"We'll start looking through clothes and toys," Dowdy said. "We'll help."