Town ordinances restricts some peddlers
Forest City police are reminding its resisdents of the ordinance approved in August 2011 by Forest City Town Council regulating persons going door to door selling items in Forest City.
According to the ordinance, before a person can go door to door soliciting sales they must first receive a permit from Forest City Police Department. The fact the police department has issued a permit is not be be considered an endorsement by the town or police as to the legitimacy of the permit holder or the permit holder company.
The permit will contain a photograph of the person,identififcation.
Persons whether licensed or not are prohibited from:
• Soliciting or peddling between the hours of 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. am;
• Accosting another, or by forcing oneself upon the company of another;
• Touching a person being solicited without the persons consent;
• Blocking the path of a person being solicited or blocking the entrance or exit of any building or vehicle;
• Using profane or abusive language during solicitation;
• Using of gestures or acts intended to cause a reasonable person to be fearful of the solicitor or make the person being solicited to feel compelled to accede to the solicitation;
• Being under the influence of alcohol or have illegally used controlled substances;
• Continuing to solicit an individual after the person has made a negative response, either verbally or by physical sign;
• Soliciting/peddling or attempting to solicit/peddle from city streets to include the right of way, sidewalks, median or shoulder thereof.
• Approaching motor vehicles or stand, sit or loiter in any city street or the right of way thereof for the purpose of employment, business or contribution from the driver or occupant of the motor vehicle.
If at any time there is a question of the legitimacy of someone contacting a person whether it be in person, by phone or by email, call the Rutherford County Communications center so a Forest City Police Officer can be dispatched to investigate the activity.
Charitable organizations where the accrued benefits are awarded to a charitable organization or charitable project within Rutherford County are exempt from the definition of "solicitor" or "peddler".