Elderly man loses home to fire

Jan. 04, 2013 @ 07:01 AM

ELLENBORO —  Hubert Brooks, 79, of Cleveland Road in Ellenboro, lost his home to a fire at about 11:30 a.m. Thursday.

According to Ellenboro Assitant Fire Chief Robbie Downey, when firefighters arrived at the wood frame structure, it was 50 percent involved with fire and smoke. 

Brooks and his dog were standing outside the structure and were not injured.

Downey said Brooks had put wood in his wood stove and apparently didn't get the wood stove door closed and went back outside. There were some paint cans nearby and Brooks told firefighters, he heard them exploding.

When the first firefighter arrived at he scene, Downey said Brooks was "trying to put the fire with a bucket of water."

There was no insurance on the house and it is a total loss.

The American Red Cross was called to assist Brooks with emergency needs such as food, shelter and clothes. 

Assisting Ellenboro were Cherry Mountain and Bostic firefighters.