Grease fire damages kitchen

Dec. 25, 2013 @ 02:15 AM

A pan of grease that was left on a stove at the home of Harold and Rita Yelton, Bradley Road in Ellenboro, caught fire Tuesday afternoon and did significant damage to the kitchen and attic. Firefighters from Bostic, Ellenboro and Forest City responded and upon arrival, the house was filled with smoke and the fire was "rolling off the ceiling" said an Ellenboro firefighter. Mrs. Yelton said she was starting her Christmas cooking and left a pan of grease on the stove. The couple's grandson, a son, his friend and two small children and the family dog, Mollie, were at home. No one was injured and Mrs. Yelton was able to get a few of the Christmas gifts out of the house. The house was insured. The family is displaced temporarily.