Piedmont Baptist celebrating 100th birthday Sunday
The centennial celebration of Piedmont Baptist Church will be held Sunday, May 4, in conjunction with the annual Memorial Day at the church.
The church, located on Maple Creek Road, was founded in 1914.
According to the history records, the church began as the outgrowth of a Union Sunday School known as Piedmont Union Sunday School which met in the old Piedmont School House. There are records of the Sunday School dating to Aug. 9, 1909.
On Jan. 31, 1914, the people of the Piedmont Community met in the Piedmont School to make a decision about building a Baptist church. The vote was unanimous to build a church and a committee was named to locate possibilities for a church site.
History says C.E. Hill donated the land where the church now stands on Maple Street Road, outside of Rutherfordton.
On March 11, 1914, Hill met the committee and laid off the boundary for the church. A memorial window is dedicated to his memory.
Six days later, 29 men met to blast holes and set out shadow trees which now stand on the church grounds.
On May 31, 1914, the people of the Piedmont community met together to organize the church. The Church Convenant, Articles of Faith were read and adopted and the church became Piedmont Baptist Church.
Church members, families and friends will gather this Sunday morning at 10 a.m. to begin the 100th celebration.
Pre-service music begins at 10:30 a.m.
Three speakers, including Dr. David Jendrey, missions director for the Green River Baptist Association, will be on the program.
Rev. Allen Hall and Rev. Shane Duncan, both former pastors of the church will present reflections.
Special music for the service will be from the McCurry Trio and John Walker, pianist.
Instrumentalists will be Mike McCurry, pianist, Chad Eaves, organist and Bobby Bridges on the keyboard.
Music will be directed by Bob Hollifield, the organist at Spindale United Methodist Church.
The church pastor, Rev. Ad Hopper will present the closing comments and prayer.
Following the service, everyone is invited to the fellowship building for a catered lunch provided by the church.