Scanner Traffic

Jun. 20, 2014 @ 04:20 AM

Officers with the Tryon Police Department have identified the two suspects involved in a larceny case that occurred at Bi-Lo in Rutherfordton on Thursday, June 12.

The male subject is Darell Donell Gary of Tryon and the female subject is Nita Michelle Plumley of Columbus.

According to a report filed by officers with the Rutherfordton Police Department, around 8:30 p.m. on June 12, a black male (Gary) entered Bi-Lo and filled up a shopping cart with Tide and Gain laundry detergent. He then placed a 12-count pack of Charmin tissue on top of the items in his cart.

When Gary got ready to exit the store, a white female (Plumley) was standing at the front entrance looking at a sales paper. She opened the door for Gary to roll the shopping cart out the door, the report stated. Plumley then entered the store and purchased a salad, which she paid for with cash.

The suspects got into a small four-door vehicle, the report said. The total value of items taken from the store was estimated at $200.

On Thursday, after reviewing the case with the District Attorney's Office, detectives with the Rutherfordton Police Department were in the process of securing arrest warrants on Gary and Plumley.


Man arrested on assault, kidnapping charges

RUTHERFORDTON — Bobby Ray Meeks Sr., 36, of West Court Street in Rutherfordton, was taken into custody by deputies with the Rutherford County Sheriff's Office on Monday on charges of kidnapping and assault on a female.

According to the sheriff's report, warrants for the arrest of Meeks were secured on Friday, June 6 for an incident that occurred on June 5 at a residence on Debby Lane in Rutherfordton.

The female victim, who was identified as previously having a relationship with Meeks, told deputies that she and her young child were unlawfully confined by Meeks in the residence. During the confinement, Meeks struck the victim multiple times but did not injure the child, the report stated.

Meeks was arrested and charged with felony second-degree kidnapping and two counts of misdemeanor assault on a female.

He received a $10,000 secured bond but was released after making bond, according to the Sheriff's Office.

Prior to his most recent incarceration, Meeks was convicted in 1995 for assault with a deadly weapon, assault inflicting serious injury and communicating threats; in 1997 for first-degree burglary (accessory before the fact), robbery (accessory after the fact) and assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury (accessory after the fact); in 2000 for assault with a deadly weapon; and in 2005 and 2012 for various drug charges.


One transported to hospital after three-vehicle wreck

FOREST CITY — One individual was transported to Rutherford Regional Medical Center on Wednesday afternoon following a three-vehicle collision near the intersection of East Main Street and North Broadway Street in Forest City.

Around 2:45 p.m., officers with the Forest City Police Department were dispatched to the wreck involving Joseph Gordon Tedore, 75, of Forest City, Markee Donelle Tyrese Hines, 23, of Forest City and Patsy Ann Toney, 43, of Elleboro.

According to a report filed by police, Hines told officers he was stopped in traffic in his 1998 Jeep behind Toney, who was driving a 1998 Dodge. Hines said he was struck from behind by a 2004 Dodge being driven by Tedore, causing him to run into the back of Toney's vehicle.

Toney's passenger, Cole Ramsey, 20, said he heard a collision behind them before he and Toney were struck, the report said.

Officers said Hines complained of back pain and was transported by Rutherford County EMS to the hospital. All other occupants of the vehicles involved denied EMS, according to the report.

Estimated damages to Tedore's vehicle are $150, to Hines' are $150 and to Toney's are $200. No vehicles were towed from the scene.

While investigating the collision, officers found the license plate on Hines' vehicle had a pick-up order. Officers contacted the insurance company, which confirmed Hines' vehicle was uninsured. Hines' mother, Mary, was at the scene and signed the receipt of surrender for the vehicle's license plate, the report stated.

Hines was advised to stop by the Forest City Police Department in reference to driving with no insurance. Officers issued no charges at the scene.